Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taco-licious Tuesday

Dear Fred,

It's that day of the week again, you know the one where every slick rick and beach bunny in SoCal hoards in to consume numerous amounts of tacos and margaritas.

I miss you for your Baja Fish Tacos, black beans and rice, and The Cadillac. Truly, a fiesta on my pallet.

Me and Fannie enjoying our Cadillacs @ Fred's Mexican Cafe, go tequila!

-Missing the Cali life! But I am gonna suck it up and make tacos at home while the wind blows and rain pours down. I found a new recipe, these lil jems are called Not So Fat Tacos. If you are interested in exploring new, healthier options for your diet maybe you should take a gander at this...


1 teaspoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 - inch chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 - inch chunks
4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup bulgar
8 ounces ground sirloin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 15 ounce can low sodium crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 6 inch corn tortillas
4 ounces crumbled feta
2 cups shredded romaine

  • In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium heat. Add peppers, scallion whites, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 7 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in bulgar. Add sirloin, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring until beef is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
  • Mix in tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes or until bulgar is tender.
  • Using tongs, hold each tortilla over the burner for about 15 seconds or until lightly toasted. Spoon 1/2 cup filling down the center of each tortilla. Top with feta, romaine and scallion greens.

Perhaps I should have waited until after I try this recipe but I am too excited! I am sure they will be dericiousness. Now I just need to find a perfect margarita and I am set! Off to watch The Hills from last night.

Ciao for now!






8 comments:

  1. I love Fred's!! And Taco Tuesday...and Margarita Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Freds...but I like your healthy tacos and douchebag freezone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beach Bunny Bon Don here!

    You had me at Tacos & Booze! Thanks for stopping by :)

    The water is nice over here in your pool, nice & warm...hummm?? Anyway, you'll be seeing me sround here more often!

    *Bon Don*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've left something for you on my blog, hop on over to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TACOS!!! these sound delicious!!! i love mexican food except for the beanage it usually involves. but it is easy enough to cut that out.

    i will try this recipe along with some tasty margaritas. YUM.

    and that crips and bloods documentary is fascinating. i learned a lot. it was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting and should be replayed many times on pbs. and i am sure it will be out on dvd sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound good! I think I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were yummy goodness! I was going to take a picture to share how fantastical they look and taste, then I forgot. But these are definitely going to be a staple on my menu.

    ReplyDelete